Sunday, April 27, 2014

Virtual World-Ed Tech Island

Moving around in Second Life if a bit easier after practice.  I went to EdTech Island and found there are so many places packed in a little area.  I went to Observation Cave, AETC, Descriptive Cave, ICT Library, Western Town, a Protected Beach (looked like it was underwater), iNACOL bat cave and amphitheater, and many more.  The art museum was really quiet.  I saw several PowerPoints on teaching in a virtual world.  The Undersea Observatory was interesting, it even had jellyfish.  I like to have never found the sandbox.  I tried to build a box in several places but there are restrictions to building in some areas.
Practicing building a box but not at the correct place.
Good at boxes now.


Correct place but not sitting yet.
Finally a box at the sandbox.  I could not figure out some of the bags that were sitting around.  I tried to pick up one but I was not able to.

When I returned later, there were more items on the beach.  My computer is slow loading everything so I wonder what else I am missing.

The most thought provoking part of the tour was the PowerPoint on how other countries are using technology and virtual learning.  Even some of the countries with lack of technology seem to be ahead of the United States when it comes to using technology in the classroom.  It is enlightening and scary at the same time.  I hope that we can find better ways to educate our teachers to the importance of not just using technology to teach the same way we always have but rather to give it to the students to learn with and be immersed into 21st Century Learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment