Sunday, April 13, 2014

Getting Started in Second Life

This is my avatar in the video game, Second Life.  I started out very slow and learned the controls while watching a tutorial video.  Easy enough, especially when you can walk through things and people.  I ended up in a Freebie shop and found where I could change my avatar.  The only thing I really changed was my shirt color.  Everything moves too slow for me but I think it may be my computer even though I downloaded the suggested drivers that was suggested after I downloaded second life.  While I was at the first freebie place, I ran into a couple of avatars that were saying some very nasty and sexual comments.  So I quickly left there by searching "educational" places.  I wound up transporting to Rescue Island for sheltered and homeless animals.  This was better and I was able to see some boards that were related to rescued animals.  This was still too slow moving around.  My graphics are alright, my patience is not.  So here goes, as a third grade teacher, I would not use Second Life in any shape form or fashion.  I would not have to worry about getting hooked into Second Life because of the profanity and sexual encounters going on.  The tattoos, clothes, and hairdos that they were "selling" are way too far off what a person should wear.  Overall it is slow and a waste of time.  I could learn about rescuing dogs and animal shelters by using Google or even visiting an animal shelter.  I did not like Second Life and see no educational gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment