Saturday, May 3, 2014

All kinds of e-books

I like to use the Alabama Virtual Library and our school library also offers e-books.  I have a couple of Kindles in my classroom that I use and I like to search for the free books.  I don't have an iPad but some of my colleagues do and they use Inkling.  During my research, I found the Gutenberg project (www.gutenberg.org) could be very helpful and CourseSmart (www.coursesmart.com) can cut the costs of textbooks.
I also ran across several other e-book sites that I want to remember so I can share them and use them in my classroom. 
  • www.scribd.com - This does cost $8.99 per month to read unlimited books.  It is like NetFlix for movies but for books.
  • www.free-ebooks.net - They offer a wide variety of e-books and trade magazines.
  • www.manybooks.net - They offer many free books with a variety of choices for downloading.
  • www.openculture.com/free_ebooks -They offer 600 free e-books for Kindle, iPad, and other devices. 
  • www.bartleby.com - I used this to read some poetry to my class.
  • www.flatworldknowledge.com - offers many textbooks but they also have their own line.
  • www.e-booksdirectory.com - offers free e-books and like the Gutenberg website, you can find old books. 
  • https://openlibrary.org -to borrow, read, or collect e-books
I have one more that I tried out with my class the other day.  It is not actually an e-book site but a site you can use with certain books.  My students loved it.  You can read books and then follow where the book takes you on Google Earth.  We did Make Way for Ducklings and then traveled around Boston.  It was a fun virtual field trip.
  • googlelittrips.com
Also a great website that I found when I was researching e-books is www.educatorstechnology.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment